Join Fellow Members
Join fellow members of the Bench & Bar at the beautiful Horseshoe Bay Resort on Lake LBJ, April 20-22, 2018 for a memorable opportunity to network and build relationships while enjoying several interesting speakers and presentations. This resort features numerous great amenities, exceptional dining, and a perfect setting for our conference social activities.
Recruit Your Friends
Each returning Bench Bar attendee is challenged to recruit as many first time attendees for Bench Bar XXV as possible. The attorney who recruits the most first time attendees who register, pay and attend will win a free registration to Bench Bar XXVI (2019).
Scholarships for First-Time Attendees
First-time attendees who have been licensed for five years or less are eligible for partial scholarships. For details and a scholarship form, call Sherry at 817.338.4092. Apply Now!
Janna Clarke Bench Bar Scholarships
The Janna Clarke Bench Bar Scholarship Fund is intended to provide female attorneys in Tarrant County with an opportunity to engage in bar activities and further their own professional pursuits by attending the annual Bench Bar Conference. Full and partial scholarships are available. Click here for an application form and eligibility requirements.
Envy is a powerful emotion! If your name is not engraved on the “Judges’ Cup,” then start practicing now. The traveling Judges’ Cup Trophy will be presented to the winners of the Saturday Golf Tournament during the Saturday evening Awards Presentation.
Barlow Big Heart Award
James B. Barlow was a loyal attendee and supporter of the TCBA Bench Bar Conference. Jim made everyone feel welcome and was a positive role model for all who attended the conference. In memory and special recognition of him, attendees can nominate a member who actively promotes positive relationships between the bench and bar during the conference. The attendee who is selected will receive the James Barlow Big Heart Award.
Friday evening will be a Casino Night & (Informal) Formal. You are welcome to come as you are (casual), but prizes will be awarded to the best/most creative formal wear and best dancer. On Saturday evening, prepare to compete in a ruthless Trivia Night. Spouses/significant others are welcome to attend the events, but must register.
Horseshoe Bay has numerous amenities – pools, water activities, Bayside Spa, tennis, fitness center, Birds of the Bay, the Whitewater Golf Course (miniature golf/$15) – and more. Information and applicable charges are available at www.hsbresort.com. You may make reservations for these activities directly with the hotel.
Horseshoe Bay Resort
200 Hi Circle North, Horseshoe Bay, TX 78657
From Fort Worth (approx. 3.5hrs.) Take Hwy 281 South to Marble Falls. Go through Marble Falls and cross over the bridge. Turn right on FM 2147 at the first light after the bridge. Go approximately 5.25 miles to the main entrance to the resort, and take a right onto Horseshoe Bay Blvd. Follow the circle drive around to the left toward the hotel main entrance. Take your second left into the hotel tower main entrance.
Daily Conference Schedule
Friday, April 20, 2018
- 11:00 a.m. Lunch & Welcome and Opening Remarks
Kimberly Stoner – Chair, Bench Bar Committee
- 11:45 a.m. Ransomware. Are You Scared Yet? You Should Be. (.75/.5 Ethics)
Panelists: Nick Bettinger, McDonald Sanders; Jeff Sanford, JurisFabrilis; John Lively, Jr., Lively & Associates
- 12:30 p.m. Highlights of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (.5)
Ryan Scharar, J.D., CPA, MBA
- 1:00 p.m. Avoiding Problematic Attorney-Client Relationships (.5 Ethics)
Charla Moore, Moore Family Law Firm
- 1:30 p.m. Protecting Yourself & Your Office: Workplace Safety, Firearm Compliance, and Duties/ Remedies for Responding to Overzealous Clients and Opposing Counsel (1.00)
Moderator: Lance Evans, Evans, Daniel, Moore, Evans & Biggs
Panelists: Caroline Harrison, Dowell, Pham & Harrison, LLP
Paul Youngblood, Youngblood Law, PLLC
Cynthia Gustafson, Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney’s Office
- 2:30 p.m. Judicial Panel – Trends & Tips Across Practice Areas (1.00)
Moderator: Mike Schneider, Schneider Law Firm
Panelists: Justice Mark Pittman, Second Court of Appeals
Judge Bill Harris, 233rd District Court
Judge Josh Burgess, 352nd District Court
- 3:30 p.m. Adjourn
- 3:45 p.m. 9 Hole Golf Tournament
- 8:30–10 p.m. Casino Night & (Informal) Formal
Saturday, April 21, 2018
- 8:00 a.m. Breakfast
- 8:45 a.m. Top 10 School Law Topics Every Client, Family Member and Friend Will Want to Know (.5)
Ben Barlow; Kathryn Hogan, Staff Attorney, Disability Rights Texas
- 9:15 a.m. Sexual Harassment in the Workplace: A View of Duties and Issues from Both Sides (.75/.5 Ethics)
Antonio Allen, Dowell, Pham & Harrison, LLP; Susan Hutchison, Hutchison & Stoy, PLLC
- 10:00 a.m. Marijuana Laws – (.5)
- 10:30 a.m. Make You Want to Holler: Legal Ethics in Today’s Social Climate (.5 ethics)
Rhonda Hunter, Chief of the Juvenile Division of the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office
- 11:00 a.m. Second Court of Appeals Case Law Update (.5)
Justice Sue Walker, Justice Elizabeth Kerr
- 11:30 a.m. Vim, Vigor & Sanctions (.5 ethics)
Steve Laird, Law Offices of Steven C. Laird
- Noon Adjourn
- 1:30 p.m. Judges’ Cup Golf Tournament
- 1:30 p.m. Wine Tour
Meet bus at front lobby
- 7:00 p.m. Dinner, Awards, Trivia Night
Sunday, April 22, 2018
- Rise and shine! Breakfast will be served between 7:00–10:00 a.m.
Thank You to Our Sponsors