Bench Bar Conference XXIV
Join Fellow Members
Join fellow members of the Bench & Bar at the Hilton Lakefront in Rockwall, Texas, April 28-30, 2017 for a memorable opportunity to network and build relationships while enjoying several interesting speakers and presentations. This is a beautiful resort featuring numerous great amenities, exceptional dining, and a perfect setting for our conference social activities.
Recruit Your Friends
Each returning Bench Bar attendee is challenged to recruit as many first time attendees for Bench Bar XXIV as possible. The attorney who recruits the most first time attendees who register, pay and attend will win a free registration to Bench Bar XXV (2018).
Scholarships for First-Time Attendees
First-time attendees who have been licensed for five years or less are eligible for partial scholarships. For details and a scholarship form, call Sherry at 817.338.4092. Apply Now!
Envy is a powerful emotion! If your name is not engraved on the “Judges’ Cup,” then start practicing now. The traveling Judges’ Cup Trophy will be presented to the winners of the Saturday Golf Tournament during the Saturday evening Awards Presentation.
Barlow Big Heart”Award
James B. Barlow was a loyal attendee and supporter of the TCBA Bench Bar Conference. Jim made everyone feel welcome and was a positive role model for all who attended the conference. In memory and special recognition of him, attendees can nominate a member who actively promotes positive relationships between the bench and bar during the conference. The attendee who is selected will receive the James Barlow “Big Heart” Award.
Friday evening will be a fun-filled Murder Mystery Dinner. Who will die, and who will figure it out? On Saturday evening, we will have Wild West Trivia, so brush up on your western knowledge.
TCBA will be requesting 7.75 hours of MCLE credit, including 2 hours of ethics.
Hilton Lakefront in Rockwall Texas
2055 Summer Lee Dr. Rockwall, TX 75032
- From Downtown Dallas: Take I-30 East to Rockwall and exit Horizon Rd. Turn right on Horizon Rd. and right on Summer Lee Dr. Follow Summer Lee Dr. to the lakefront and the entrance to the hotel.
- From Downtown Fort Worth: Take I-30 East to Rockwall and exit Horizon Rd. Turn right on Horizon Rd. and right on Summer Lee Dr. Follow Summer Lee Dr. to the lakefront and the entrance to the hotel.
Daily Conference Schedule
Friday, April 28, 2017
- 9:55 am – Welcome and Opening Remarks
Leslie Barrows – Chair, Bench Bar Committee & Jim Pruitt – Mayor of Rockwall
- 10:00 am – Ethics
Kenda Culpepper – Rockwall District Attorney
- 11:00 am – State Bar Update
Tom Vick – President Elect of the State Bar of Texas
- 11:30 am – Are You Really “Fully Insured?”
- Noon Lunch
- 12:30 pm – Ethics & Malpractice Issues in the Use of Current Technology
Jett Hanna – Texas Lawyers Insurance Exchange
- 1:00 pm – Updates in Sports & Entertainment Law
- 1:30 pm – The Lawyer’s Eminent Domain Checklist
John Allen Chalk, Sr.
- 2:00 pm – ShotgunTopics (Judges will discuss their court programs)
Judge Carey Walker – First Offenders Drug Program, Judge Robb Catalano – Tarrant County’s Felony Alcohol Intervention Program, Associate Judge Ellen Smith – Tarrant County Family Drug Court for Child Protective Services & Judge Brent Carr
- 3:15 pm – Adjourn
- 3:30 pm – 9 Hole Golf at Waterview Golf Club & Lawyer Olympics
- 7:30 pm Murder Mystery Dinner on the Pergola – Western Attire
Saturday, April 29, 2017
- 8:00 am – Breakfast
- 9:00 am – New Judges’ Court Rules
Judge Brooke Allen – Probate Court #2, Justice Leza Kerr – Second Court of Appeals, Judge Scott Walker – Court of Criminal Appeals & Judge Patricia Baca Bennett – 360 District Family Law Court
- 10:00 am – Gun Laws
An Le Hsu
- 10:30 am – Recent Issues in Federal Court
Judge Reed O’Connor & Judge Jeff Cureton
- 11:00 am – Mental Health Issues
- 11:30 am – Protective Orders
- 11:55 am – Presentation by Bench Bar Committee
- Noon – Adjourn
- 1:30 pm – Judges’ Cup Golf Tournament at Buffalo Creek Golf Club & Painting with a Twist
- 7:00 pm – Dinner and Awards (Western Attire) & Wild West Trivia
Sunday, April 30, 2017
- 8:00 am – Breakfast and Departure
The Hospitality Suite will be open during the conference from Friday noon through late Saturday night, located in the Harbor View Room on the 5th Floor.
Thank You to Our Sponsors